Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A benefit of being sick

One of the things that I've done a lot of since having this cold is reading. Yesterday, I got half way through A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. From reading this, I can see just how much my ego has been in charge of my reactions to relationships, people, work, etc. Here are some passages that I found particularly profound:

"Give up defining yourself--to yourself or to others. You won't die. You will come to life. And don't be concerned with how others define you. When they define you, they are limiting themselves, so it's their problem. "
This means that I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not. I can be me without a role.

"Negative states such as anger, anxiety, hatred, resentment, discontent, envy, jealousy, and so on, are not recognized as negative but as totally justified and are further misperceived not as self-created but as caused by someone else or some external factor. "
This is the root of unhappiness. Awareness of negativity and the ego's pleasure in it are a start towards shrinking the ego and the unhappiness that it thrives on.

"The moment you become aware of a negative state within yourself, it does not mean you have failed. It means that you have succeeded. " This isn't denial but awareness of thoughts, reactions and emotions that once defined me.

"People unknowingly sabotage their own work when they withhold help or information from others or ty to undermine them lest they become more successful or get more credit than "me"......The ego doesn't know that the more you include others, the more smoothly things flow and the more easily things come to you."
This is common in a work environment where knowledge is power. With the ego in charge, my chances of success diminish because I have cut off people who could help out. I have alienated myself.

"Nothing ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being present now; and if the past cannot prevent you from being present now, what power does it have?"
This is the essence of what I've learned in Al-Anon. Let go of the past, live this one day, and don't worry about the future because we don't know what it holds.

5 comments:

  1. These are great quotes! I'm reading the book myself. If you haven't watched the Oprah classes (on chapters 1 & 2 so far), you should take a look at them. Hearing the author speak is quite interesting. www.oprah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syd: I've been reading that book too. Do you know about the live webcast Oprah has been broadcasting? You can watch them live at oprah.com. I took care of a little of the TIRED part in the HALT. I woke up realizing over the past day 1/2 I've faced every fear I think I've ever had!! and laughed. it is almost funny (almost)... the RESISTING of pain/fear seems MORE painful to me than the pain/fear itself. wierd.

    sometimes i have to put the tolle book down because i relate so much to almost every word and it gets me all wound up with more thinking.

    oh i just saw where ashley talked about the class too. you can watch anytime.

    have a great rest of your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. I may have to steal it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better Syd. EVeryone down here seems to be getting sick. I am so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice. I listen to these on my ipod as well.

    http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/munin.php

    i find him him full of down to earth advice and i like his ? mood or whatever you call it. very alm. the opposite of a drama queen r something.
    anyway. hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.