Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday at last


I'm glad that it's Friday. I woke up with a sinus headache--jack hammers across the forehead. I'm hoping to make it through the day at work. But I'd like to go home and snuggle up by the fire under a warm quilt.

Even though the weather change wreaks havoc with my head, I like this cold weather. It's refreshing. It's brisk. It's supposed to be nearing 25 F tonight and this weekend is supposed to only have a high of 40. That means that it will be time for long-johns on the boat. And snuggling down under a couple of heavy sleeping bags.

It's hard to believe that it's nearing the end of November. I'm starting to feel some of the pressure of the holidays. We've started talking about the Thanksgiving menu. There'll be the usual suspects of turkey, oyster stew, corn bread stuffing, mashers, casseroles, and sweet potato pie. Lots of gut expansion foods.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. We're only having a few people here. I wish that there would be more, but people seem to have family to visit and places to go. My wife's elderly parents will be here. And I'll probably go visit some other friends who live nearby later in the day.

I think that having a big crowd for Thanksgiving is a great idea. It's what the holiday is about--sharing what you have with others. We have a nice Thanksgiving luncheon at work every year. There are generally about 50 of us attending that. And the food is outstanding!

But thinking about Christmas and all that entails is just making my head hurt more. I'm not at all ready to think about that yet. I'll take one holiday at a time.

19 comments:

  1. Yikes the holidays already...my favorite too is Thanksgiving because it is about getting together with family, sharing a meal, and, of course, giving thanks.

    Then come the the HOLIDAZE which have always stressed me out. This year I think I will use the economy as an excuse not to overdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your suggestion yesterday.I hear you. I am wanting Christmas to go away! I still don't have a plan for Thanksgiving. jeNN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was getting overwhelmed with the whole christmas thing right around the corner so I've done some online shopping the past two nights in a row. I'm feeling a little calmer now. If only I had my picture for the Christmas Cards piced out I'd be in good shape. If I don't plan ahead, I start to panic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Syd, I can relate to the sinus headache. I didnt think my allergies would still be bothering me this late into the season.

    Thanksgiving is one of my favorite Holidays as well. A lot to do with all the eating. (one of my favorite past times). I am looking forward to cooking with my mom. The Oyster Stew sounds delicious.

    Thanks always for your thoughtful words. Happy TGIF!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is 5 degree wind chill outside for me - talk about brisk! heheh

    I love Thanksgiving - the food the family the visiting that we never take the time to actually do during the year - I am looking forward to it!

    Have a great weekend!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be our first thanksgiving without my Dad, and it was his favorite holiday so it will be very difficult. I too wish we had more people to share the day with. I want to wake up tomorrow and have it be January already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. think about today, today. and think about tomorrow, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way this year, Christmas is really waving its hands in the air, sticking its tongue out and taunting me.

    BUT, one day at a time, and I will get there and get what needs to be done, done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL well I can understand why you jump to Christmas, because we all know after thanksgiving it just arrives to fast!!
    My goal this year, to enjoy the season, the whole season
    Happy Friday!♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanksgiving is the most traveled day too. I'm from a large clan so we generally have lots of noise and fun and food and I'm looking forward to it too.

    Christmas isn't far..and I love it...I just don't let myself get caught up in the trappings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps...LOVE your new look. Did you take that photo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Syd, We must have the same thing happening, my sinuses are wreaking havoc with me...pound pound pound goes the head, we had snow here last night and cold temps...

    I can't think about the holidays...not yet!!

    Have a great weekend! G~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish the football games would go away on Thanksgiving Day. On the up side, my husband cooks everything & he is a good cook. Gives me time to catch up on some bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never had a sinus headache. never WANT one.

    Thanksgiving...my God, I can recall--if I try--soe really BAD ones! But fortunately, those are fleeting recalls, just enough to fill me with the gratitude over which Thanksgiving now presides. God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Put some vicks on the bottom of your feet, then socks (at bedtime) it will do wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you. I'm making a decision to not think about Christmas at all until after Thanksgiving.

    We haven't left home at Thanksgiving for so long I can't remember when, but Steve-a-roni and I are traveling up to Tampa for Thanksgiving. We're going to celebrate with my son, his fiance, my daughter, her boyfriend, and boyfriend's father.....makes 7 of us. I'm really looking forward to it. Joy and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gut expansion foods? That's good, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sinuses go nuts this time of year, too. Especially when the fake heat has to be turned on. I hate that.

    And regarding the holidays, I am a bit of a Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's almost time for my annual Christmas shopping trip with mom and sister. I am not ready this year and have no idea what to get anyone.

    None of them know what they want either.

    Thanksgiving is definitely one of the best holidays. Do you mind if I pass on the oyster stew though?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.