Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Are you a little chili?
Tab asked about my chili recipe. So I thought that I'd post it on here. It's spicy and tasty. But it warms you up on those cold days.
Please note this disclaimer: I'm powerless over any marital disputes that erupt because of having to ventilate the bedroom after several bowls of this stuff. But you might want to keep the window cracked just in case. And add a seat belt to the toilet--just sayin'
Syd's Blowing in the Wind chili
• 2 medium onions, finely chopped
• 1 medium green chili pepper, minced
• 2 medium garlic cloves
• 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ½ ounce cumin
• 5 ounces tomato sauce
• 16 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
• 3 ounces bulk pork sausage
• 3 pounds ground beef
• 3 8 oz. cans pinto beans
• ½ teaspoon coriander, ground
• 1 cup beef broth, canned
• 2 Tablespoons butter
• 2 ounces (or more to taste) Gebhardt's Chili Powder (or order the medium hot stuff from the Spice Barn)
• - white pepper, to taste
• - a few dashes of hot pepper sauce
• - cayenne pepper, to taste
1. Sauté onions and garlic in butter about 3 minutes.
2. Add chili powder.
3. Mix well.
4. Brown beef in separate pan a pound at a time, adding white pepper to taste while browning.
5. Add to onions and spices; use a little beef broth to keep from sticking.
6. Sauté sausage and minced green chili pepper about 2 minutes.
7. Add to pot with meat and onions and cook about 15 minutes.
8. Add cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato sauce and remaining broth, mixing well.
9. Cook about 30 minutes.
10. Add oregano.
11. Cover and cook over low heat about 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
12. During the last 20-30 minutes add beans, salt, cayenne pepper
and red hot pepper sauce. If needed add more chili powder to taste.
(you can also leave out the beans and just do the meat or you can leave out the meat and just do the beans--it's still good).
Note: Pam, Dave and the Houston group probably have Gebhardt's by the case.
Posted by Syd at 1/21/2009 06:13:00 AM