It's going to be my natal birthday on Sunday. My wife asked if I wanted a party, but I just wanted something low key. The best thing that I could think of was to go on the boat. The weather is supposed to be relatively warm which will be a welcome change from the below freezing temperatures of the past two weeks.
We did a birthday party last night for my father-in-law whose birthday is today. And I opened some of my presents last night as well. It was nice to spend some time with my in-laws. They are nearing 90 but seemed to be doing well. They live in their own home, still drive, and take good care of each other. As with all of us, it is one day at a time.
We are leaving today for an island up the coast where there are hiking trails and a good beach for walking. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday. I'm grateful for a lot of things but here is what comes to mind today:
- Getting wiser and more comfortable with who I am as each year passes
- Talking with sponsees who are making progress with the steps. They remind me that patience, humility, willingness and hope are wonderful traits.
- That some help is getting to the suffering people in Haiti. I felt a strong urge to go there to help.
- Mindful of all that I have and what I sometimes take for granted.
- How disasters rally everyone to lend a helping hand. I wish that mentality would persist with normal everyday life.
"He who sees the calamity of other people finds his own calamity light.” Arabian proverb