Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mixed bag of feelings

Today has been a mixed bag of things.  It started with my finding a dead baby raccoon.  I saw it last night when I went out to walk the dogs late in the evening.  The raccoon was near the feeders where I put down corn and other sweet feed for the squirrels, raccoons and opossums.  It was staggering around and not acting right. At one point,  the baby flopped over on his side and just laid there.  I thought perhaps it was sick, but thought that I would put out some salmon cat food for it to eat.  Sadly, this morning as I was walking around the house, I saw the little body hanging just over the edge of the watering pool that we installed for the critters during the recent drought. 

Good bye Captain Smith
After burying the raccoon, I came in to read the newspaper.  There on the front page was a story about a plane crash that happened near one of the islands that we go to on the boat.  The aircraft was a flying zodiac, a recreational ultra light.  Sadly,  the two people killed were the captain and first mate of one of the charter vessels that we have seen for several years at our favorite anchorage.  Just this past Sunday,  we waved at each other as he was anchoring near us.  He has an 18 year old daughter and a newborn son.  You just don't know.  One morning you get up, decide to have an adventure doing something you love, and fall from the sky. 

So after all this, I went to a meeting.  And miraculously,  I felt much better.  I think that I am not able to make sense of what happens in this world.  I don't have to.  I just do my best to live each day well.  And trust that there will be another day tomorrow.  As a blogger friend writes with her posts, "Every day matters." Yes, it does.

16 comments:

  1. We just never know, do we?
    Yes. Every day DOES matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew...yeah we never know when our time may come...thankful for the day i have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm writing about my mixed bag of emotions too, and I am sad to read today about the loss of your friend. I'm learning to let the feelings sit with me. We are okay and it's good that we can feel. Thank you because I get it...Every day matters for ALL of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, EVERY day matters. This is a great frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a retired neighbor, his hobby is trapping skunks, raccoons, moles, etc in wire cages. One time our cat got stuck in one for 16 hours. I don't understand his obsession.

    I'm sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are giving them food and water. Life just doesn't go right sometimes does it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think every day matters and every meeting is a miracle for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our lives change with every breath that we take. Its imperative that we live mindfully, lest we should miss the good stuff.

    You have had a rough ride lately, but I'm glad you have a way of life to help you through it. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Syd:

    I think that I am not able to make sense of what happens in this world. I don't have to. I just do my best to live each day well.

    Perfect and SO very true.

    Love you much,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey buddy. Sorry about the sweet baby raccoon and your friends. I'm with you in gratitude that the program gives us serenity no matter what. Hugs not drugs, JO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found that the more I realize the rough spots the more I appreciate the moments and working to live in them...the rough spots help us to have gratitude for the spots of love and peace...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every day & every moment is a gift...so sorry about your friend....I will pray for him and his family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each day brings stuff to deal with. It is how we react to things and how we learn from the stuff that helps keep us healthy. My heart goes out to your friend Captain's family. I know they are inconsolable right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes everyday does matter. You can count on it.

    I am so sorry about your friend- his family is going to hurt for a long, long time....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Syd. I hate when I find a sick or injured or dead animal! In my state there are wildlife rehabilitators that rescue injured, sick and endangered animals and they have vets working for them, too. Maybe your state does too - maybe if you find one, you can have their number handy next time you see a sick animal. Just a thought. Take care and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.