Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Some new family

The couple that are watching after my wife's parents are wonderful.  I stopped by yesterday to visit and saw such an improvement in the parents.  Both were smiling and had put on weight.  My mother-in-law was dressed up and wearing lipstick.  It was amazing to see the difference that just three weeks has made in their demeanor and physical appearance.

The only difficult thing to think about is that the couple may not be there for long.  Their career is in estate management.  Their last position was running the palace of a Saudi prince in which over 100 staff were employed and supervised.  The gig before that was managing staff at a couple of Swiss chalets owned by a wealthy family.  They have managed estates in France as well.

As they were telling me that they were in-between jobs at the moment, I began to feel small and fearful.  I thought about the happiness of my in-laws at the moment and how that could disappear suddenly should the couple's agent find them a new estate to manage.  When I talked to C. about it, she cried because she knows how attached her parents have become to this couple who have only been there a short time.  They are erudite, speak several languages, are kind, and gentle.  And they treat the parents with utmost respect.  They admitted that they have come to love the parents also.

This morning I realized that there are no guarantees with much except death.  I don't need to become worried about what might happen.  It is still one day at a time.  We can "cross the bridge" of finding another couple to live in should we need to do so.

I also know how our egos have a way of manifesting to let others know what our usual situation has been.  If I am suddenly driving an old beat up truck, I might be tempted to tell others that I usually drive a Porsche.  Leaving a palace to do caregiving at a suburban home represents a major change.  I understand and can empathize, although I have not ever lived in a palace.

In the meantime,  we have two new family members in Karin and Elias.  They, the parents, and the next door neighbors who helped facilitate the job for Karin and Elias are coming to dinner next Thursday evening.  We are going to make the most of the time we all have together.  And that is what truly matters.

If a man happens to find himself, he has a mansion which he can inhabit with dignity all the days of his life. ~James Michener

15 comments:

  1. You just never know Syd, what might play out. What an incredible blessing to be able to watch the transformation of your in laws. It is so important that the elderly's last months and years be treated with the utmost respect and live every moment to the fullest...getting dressed and wearing lipstick. :o) Bless their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad you are seeing improvement and i hope the caregivers stick for a bit...but as you say there are no certainties and it will take care of itself in time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being grateful for this time and living in the present will help. I pray you find who you need for your parents when you need them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the fear. I put future fears like that in a "God box" now. It's so freeing to take pleasure and find gratitude in the present, leaving the future up to God, who is better equipped than I to manage the needs that might crop up. You're doing well with this. Applause, applause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. For whatever reason, seasoned managers are able to be with your in-laws at this time. They are instrumental in your in-laws being healthier and happier which is a far cry from where they were a few weeks ago. The upcoming dinner with everyone together at your place sounds like a fine dinner paying tribute to the people who helped and to your in-laws for getting with the program of participating in their own lives better, and to you and C for your continuing love and support for her parents. Three cheers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, as with so much of the richness of our lives, we can make the time we have with it miserable with thinking of when we won't have it. Or, we can be grateful that we have it for the time we do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn. I want them to stay there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many uncertainties but good news for now -- many South Africans work abroad as skilled caregivers and love the work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lipstick is a great indicator of how a woman is doing! I am glad she is wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is saving my sanity while at work this week. Rough week with my alcoholic. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad such a nice couple have been able to help out.

    Love you, buddy.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the fear of the unknown - re: the caregivers. My mother is getting older (and sicker) and I have MS and very limited resources. I try not to worry.

    Lipstick is good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very wise. I am happy for your in laws for the gift of hope that they are receiving from this couple. I enjoy your blog very much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fact that the winds blew this kind couple into your lives. For however long they are there, there is something to be gained.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow they sound great.. glad you found them..

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.