Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Anchored for the night

The boat is anchored for the night. The winds were light and variable this morning. In the afternoon, the breeze picked up which was nice.

I am in the ACE Basin, which has unspoiled views of maritime forests and is mostly protected by conservation easements. I have wound my way through a series of creeks, cuts and rivers to get to this anchorage for the night. The names of these places are a reminder of Native American tribes in the area: Dawho, Ashepoo, Combahee, and Edisto.

A few other boats were motorsailing, and some were just motoring, raising a hand to wave as we passed by each other. We smile and nod at each other, knowing that we are lucky to be on our respective excursions.

I talked to C. several times today. All is well there. I told her I fixed fish, salad, and corn on the cob for dinner. It tasted so good. Now, I'm sitting on deck watching the sun go down. Soon, it will be time for sleep.

I will head to the marina tomorrow. I may anchor out and row to shore. Rain is in the forecast. But today is spectacularly beautiful.

11 comments:

  1. nice view of the sun down...and dinner sounds great...glad you had a good first day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaceful post. I enjoy following your get away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need so badly to do something similar. I know I do. You are reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh - indescribable!
    Hugs
    Anonymous #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who have never been upon the deep water on a small ship will never know...


    Stay the course and a gentle hand on the rudder Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting us in to your paradise. This made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! You can hear the serenity in your words. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. man Syd, breathtaking! God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.