Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas greetings to you

Downtown fountain lit for Christmas.
Happy eve of Christmas eve to all of you.  It seems like Christmas with decorations and sparkling lights, but the weather is warm and filled with humidity. No solstice fire this year and no hearth fire either.  But it is all okay here. Warm days to go to the barn and ride. And a good few days on the boat last week were just what I needed. 
On the boat last week with great weather.
We are having another quiet Christmas this year. Just the two of us.  I had a few moments of sadness when I looked at old ornaments and old tags from presents given in year's past. I do miss those who are no longer here.  And I know that I will for the rest of my life. They have left a hole that can't be filled. And that's the way it is for all who miss loved ones. So I let the feelings flow through me. And the sadness passed.

For the first time, we are going to have our dinner on Christmas Eve.  And then on Christmas Day we are going to take a ham to the homeless living under the big bridge and gather with other volunteers to feed them.  We need nothing this year. We have so much.  And for me, doing for others is really what it's all about.

Later, I will take a meal to an elderly couple that I visit every year.  And they will have a good Christmas dinner while we talk about a lot of things that have been going on in their life and mine.  They like to hear about the horse and the boat adventures.

I remember my father going to visit his old friends on Christmas. He would take something, maybe a fruit cake, to the man who ran the store across from the farm where he grew up.  All of those people are gone now.  The farm is gone too, with the land gone fallow.  But I find that the older I get, the more I repeat the things that I remember from childhood--the deeds that I thought were kind and generous.  I like to think that I got the best parts of my parents' character.  And that connects me to them as I do those things that I remember them doing that touched my heart.

So I am wishing each of you a Merry Christmas, happy holiday, and season's greetings.  Whether you celebrate of not,  I hope that you have time to relax and just be.
All is calm, all is bright. 

8 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    I too have found that the giving of me brings more joy to me and others than that latest TV or trinket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings and love to you and to yours, Syd. Thank you for being part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our parents and loved ones are always a part of us. It's so natural to think of them this time of year. I wish you and your wife very happy and peaceful holidays, Syd. Although we have never met, I have gotten so much out of reading about your experiences. Thank you.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving back is so important -- wishing you a peaceful time, Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recovery is very heartwarming to follow. The honesty is obvious, and the peace of the program as it is working for you jumps from the words you share.......thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Syd for sharing your calm and peaceful life with us all. I love that you help those who are in need. You have a good heart. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely way to spend your holiday. Many best wishes to you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dec. 31st, 2015 ... HAPPY NEW YEAR ... dear Blogger friend ... and all best wishes for you and yours. I look forward to receiving your comments in 2016.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.