Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Looking for a meeting

I had to go out of town for a while. After getting the business that I need to do completed, I looked for a meeting to attend. There weren't any Alj-Anon meetings around so I called the AA number and found an AA meeting tonight. It was about a mile from the hotel so it was nice to take a walk and clear my head after a day of listening to people talking at me. This was a beginner's meeting and I wasn't sure what exactly to do. The chair asked me to come up to talk and I explained that I was a guest and with another 12 step program. It was okay with him for me to join in so there were 4 of us who sat around a small table and read from the Big Book. We each got a chance to tell our story. It was a close sharing group and once again I was amazed at the ability of each of us to share experience, strength and hope in our recovery. I felt welcomed and embraced, even though I am not an alcoholic. I left feeling refreshed and invigorated. So, even if you are out of town or someplace where there isn't an Al-Anon meeting, check with AA and try to get to a meeting that is Open. It's all part of the 12 step program and is a great help in the recovery process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.