Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Reaching Out

Why is it that when we need people the most, we don't reach out to them? I think that what I feel is that I don't want to bother them, or perhaps I'm even fearful that I'll be rejected if I reach out. One of the things that Al-Anon says is that "When anyone, anywhere reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Al-Ateen always be there". That's a comforting thought. I have reached out when I've had some tough times. I call my sponsor when I need to be brought back to focus on myself. I've called my good friend D when I've been in crisis mode over things at home. I called one of the people at one of my meetings but after getting a lecture, decided not to reach out to that person again. Maybe what was said was right but I didn't want to hear it at that time.

My sponsor is a wonderful person who isn't about control but about wisdom and logic. I put a prayer in my God box for my sponsor who is having some serious health issues at this time. We are there for each other whenever and wherever we need to talk, get past a crisis, share a happy moment or just to know that someone is on the other end of the line. So, if you are feeling a need to share, just pick up the phone and call someone in Al-Anon that you trust and with whom you feel comfortable. It will make both of you feel good.

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful I get to talk to my sponsor 3 times a week that is scheduled and know she is available 24/7. I can't imagine her not being available

    Hope your sponsor has the strength to overcome her health problems, she's blessed to have you in her life

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.