Saturday, May 26, 2007

Finished up and heading home

We threw off the lines and headed out of Miami this morning. The final stations were completed off of Palm Beach, and we are now headed home. It was good to have completed the work and hearing the ship's horn blast to indicate that we were done. It's been a good trip and a good group of people to work with.

There has always been something a bit sad for me about completing work and packing up. We start the project with such a lot of enthusiasm to be going out and then we pack everything up, eager to move on. One of the engineers on the ship offloaded all of his gear as he is heading to another job on land in Mass. He seemed happy enough to be leaving but for me, such changes always come with a sense of sadness. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but I think about all the people that I've met in life and that I won't likely cross paths with many of them again. It's not that I'm attached to them necessarily but it is just this feeling that we move in and out of people's lives with such ease. I've caught myself sometimes thinking about someone that I haven't seen for a decade or more and wondering how they are doing. I also wonder do they ever think about me.

Maybe what happens is we are always looking forward with anticipation while the things that we need are right there in front of us. It's the "grass is greener" philosophy. I'm finding that a lot of what I really treasure is with me at all times, in my heart and in my soul.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Syd. I need to be constantly reminded that I don't need anything outside of me to change in order to be happy. I need to change what's inside A LOT!!!

    I'm glad to hear you're heading home, but I understand your sadness, too. Lately I've been remembering a lot of the people I used to know and REALLY missing them, ya know?

    I hope you get started on a great new project soon! I think being excited about a new project is cool.

    Peace out,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about all of your coinciding journeys. Thanks for including us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syd,
    That's a lovely post. A bit of happy and a bit of sad. People come into our lives for a reason. I might be a grandmother now, but here and there I think of kids I went to school with..I remember their names and faces. And then of course, high school and I wonder how some of my friends turned out...and of course work....who went where....and where are they today?
    Some of the people I met touched me and taught me...and some I hope I never meet again....but that's life. It doesn't matter..no matter who we meet..we learn something from them, whether good or bad.
    I guess we're all alike...we all don't like good-bye's!
    Hope you took some nice pics to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a journey both professionally and personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often think about people who had been in my life just for a moment, and how just one meeting can forever change ones' life...
    Cool that you're coming home, can't wait to see the pics!
    love and HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to remember to hold on to the thought "right NOW is good." When I do, I'm finding that gives me more peace of mind than anything I've ever experienced. It is wonderful to have nostalgia and anticipation, but glorying the moment is a real forgotten art - especially when bells and whistles aren't necessarily involved.

    You made some terrific observations on this trip, Syd. I'm glad you shared them. They came at a good time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautifully written post Syd.Thank you for sharing so much of that heart and soul with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Syds comimg home! Cool. I'm glad you had a good time and I know I will love the pictures, but i sortof like that you are coming back to 'base'. so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand totally...thank you for sharing feelings that are so often hard to put into words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'm glad you finised your trip safely. ANYTHING ending for me....is always kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.