Thursday, September 20, 2007

Beginner's meeting

I signed up to do the Beginner's meeting next Thursday. I was hesitant because I thought that I would need more time in the program. But there is an Al-Anon guideline for conducting a Beginner's meeting that doesn't seem too daunting.

Basically, I'm supposed to introduce newcomers to the Al-Anon program as well as inform them about the disease of alcoholism. I also share the experience, strength and hope that I found in Al-Anon. I'm supposed to mention the steps with particular emphasis on Steps One through Three.

There is something about still being a Beginner myself that makes me identify so with them. I also like the idea of introducing others to this great program. I've heard griping from a friend about Beginner's and how they are a pain. I don't understand that. To my mind, the teachings of the program are a legacy--one that is passed down from the lineage of my sponsor to me and eventually from me to others. I see Beginner's as the reason for having this program. They are the most important people at a meeting. I'm looking forward to this opportunity to do some service.

8 comments:

  1. I am sure that you will be wonderful and those newcomers will feel welcome and at home next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it INCREDIBLE that anyone would gripe about having newcomers. What planet have they been living on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a priviledge to be able to share with newcomers what you have learnt yourself. and in my humble opinion, from what i read on your site, i think you are ready and will be darn good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tradition 5 i my most favorite. My primary purpose is to help other family members find the comfort and help I've received.

    Newcomers keep it green for me, I need reminding of how it was and how it is now.

    Even if we have a short time in program we have so much ESH to give. Good for you signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes...beginners in our beautiful programs are so desparate for a life line. What a priviledge to be the one to give them hope. Your great attitude will be just what they need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that you are looking forward to the challenge. I wish there were Al-Anon meetings like this in my area...but there aren't. I have to get it 2nd-hand from you and others...which I am very grateful for.
    Thanks...you're doing a great job.
    I would think that being a newbie..the first encounter you receive would be integral to your staying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone said to me once you are in a good place should you not stop going to Al-Anon?? Isn't that the goal??

    I find that I am going to less meetings; and when I have slip ups I have the tools now..

    Besides I only have 18 months and I can see why others go for decades; we build up nice friendships; great topics with such honesty and we can continue to grow more and more.

    And IMPORTANTLY we got something from this PROGRAM and should be there to do SERVICE for the NEWBIES that come (whether it is setting up; sharing our ESH and newcomers seeing we did get serene to various levels etc.

    Should not just take and not give back..

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.