Thursday, December 13, 2007

What are you bringing to a meeting?

Since coming to Al-Anon, I've learned that it's important to participate. I've gone to meetings where I didn't actually feel like saying anything, yet I most always share something. It may not be brilliant or profound but I seem to feel better if I speak up and share what I'm thinking.

So I think that what I bring to a meeting is just as important, sometimes more so, that what I get out of the meeting. I've heard people comment that they didn't get what they wanted at a particular meeting. That makes me think "What are you bringing to the meeting" or "why don't you come to the meeting and help make it be what you would like it to be?"

Listening is important and is something that I do a lot of at meetings. But sharing on the topic, even when it's hard, is another route to recovery.

I do not know what course of action is right for anyone else. I can offer only comfort and compassion, and the good example of my life I am trying to build. ......One Day At a Time, p. 57

7 comments:

  1. I try to speak at every meeting as well. At first it was just to help myself. But now its to help others as well. I also try to bring humor when appropriate. And I also try to bring compassion. I guess mainly because that is what I like to take from a meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep its all attitude... reminds me of dr addict alcoholic in the 3rd edition or now as it is called in the 4th edition acceptance was the answer... talks about when he is a meeting he gets grumpy when he thinks of the late start, or smokey room, but when he thinks of what he can contribute to the meeting he then sees the meeting ina whole new way... it does work out when you go for the solution rather than the problem... hee hee thats my 2 cents... HAve a super good day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share at just about every meeting, sometimes when I don't feel like it. I try to share the message/solution. I never thot of my sharing being all that important, but it might be just what someone needs to hear, hu? We never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't go to meetings, but a little bit of everything is mostly the right approach... all in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question for you. Does Al Anon have their own book??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need your email addy. plz email me at scoutegrl@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been taught to not pass ever at a meeting. I do my best to focus and listen to others when I am not speaking and not think about what it is I want to say when its my turn. Do what I can to let God get in...I never know what it is someone may need to hear or what it is I might hear myself say.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.