Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Facing demons

After a relaxing vacation, we got back home this evening. I think there is something magical about being away and seeing interesting, unfamiliar areas. It's a time when you can totally relax and not have to be on a schedule. Sleeping until 8 AM is something that I never do at home so the few days that we could lie in bed and know that we didn't have to be anywhere were a special treat.

I did visit my cousin before leaving for home. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor and is now unable to walk, can only speak a few words, and often becomes agitated. His wife believes that his dead mother has taken over his psyche and is thinking about having an exorcist drive her out. I have to say that it takes a lot for me to listen to this kind of talk and just keep my mouth shut. I wonder whether her ideas are born of desperation in trying to keep him alive. Maybe it's all about denial. I don't know but can see that he was calm and peaceful when I showed him photos from the trip on the little Mac ibook that I took along.

We all have our demons in side of us. Some of us are just lucky to have the benefit of a 12 step program that has helped us face those demons. I don't know how I would react if I were terminally ill or had a loved one who was. Today, I'm grateful that I am healthy and reasonably happy and that I can call upon my HP when I'm in distress. I hope that my cousin and his wife find peace in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.