Monday, March 31, 2008

Into the wind

It was a nice weekend spent on the boat. The little dinghy for Compass Rose towed and rowed well. The winds were gusting to around 35 knots so I anchored in the lee of one of the bird rookeries in the Harbor and enjoyed listening to the sound of the wind whistling around the halyards.

One of the great things about staying on the boat is the sound of the waves slapping against the hull and the sound of the wind. I fixed a dinner of jerk chicken and couscous with basil and garlic on Saturday night. By the time that was done and cleaned up, I crawled in the V-berth and was ready to sleep.

On Sunday morning, I woke up late, listened to the wind and waves and felt the boat rocking. Lighting off the propane stove put some heat in the cabin. After breakfast, I read the books that I brought. It's a nice feeling not to be rushed but just to enjoy the time on the water.

Monday has come soon enough. But after the relaxing weekend, I'm enjoying this day back at work. I've got the topic for my home group meeting tonight. I think that the topic will be "keeping the focus on myself".

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. " - Oliver Wendel Holmes

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Did your wife join you out on the boat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your weekend sounds like absolutely the best.

    '...sometimes with the wind, sometimes against it....' the 'with' is the important thing though, 'cause 'against' the flow is what's draining and self-defeating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be on a boat right now sounds delightful! I like the lyrics in KT Tunstall's song "Heal Over": "Everybody sails alone
    But we can travel side by side"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had your own weekend of meditation, silence & peace. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are like a boat whisperer.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fantastic not living near the coast or being rich enough to afford a boat I love the next best thing, camping, gonna get a brand new large tent I can stand up in ready for my next holiday at spring bank.
    I love your analogy between life and the wind, so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel more relaxed just from reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely boat! I tagged you, but of course, you've already played. I am so disorganized, aren't I? Thanks for the help, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.