Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Out of town

I got to my destination last night around midnight. My flight was delayed due to a small "dent" in the plane. I was wondering whether it could be a bird, a very small asteroid, or some other mystery object that hit the plane. Whatever the reason, the "dent" was investigated, reports written, paperwork filed, and finally we left.

After I got in, I took the Metro from National Airport to Silver Spring which is where NOAA lives. The Metro is another adventure but it is on time for the most part. It's an inexpensive and efficient way to get around the DC area. If a city has public transportation woes, it would seem that this city provides an example of infrastructure that moves a person from point A to point B fairly quickly and cheaply.

Once I got to the metro station at Silver Spring, I started walking towards the hotel. I was within sight of the hotel when a car ran a red light and T-boned another car. I was right there so I went over to see if the person in the T-boned car was okay. He was an elderly gentleman who was a bit shook up but seemed visibly unhurt. His Northstar had kicked in and true to the TV ad, there was a voice coming through asking him if he was in an accident and was okay. The voice said that she would stay there with him until help arrived. Amazing-- truth in advertising.

I stayed with him until the police came, got names and phone numbers, etc. and then I was off again. By this time, I was hungry but nothing was open. I checked the Al-Anon phone message system since I've volunteered to do that this week. There were a couple of calls from people wanting to get to a meeting. So far, there have been about an equal number of men and women calling in. I'm glad that we have this service and that I can help get someone to a meeting.

Today will be a full day. Hope that I can catch up on my blog friends. Maybe I am in cyber withdrawal.

Have a good one.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...lot's of excitement.
    Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good service, remote answer service... have a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you were there for that gentleman who had a car accident. I am sure that meant more to him than he was able to communicate at the time. I bet he will be thinking of you later with a lot of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you checked in.
    I've been delinquent lately in my blog surfing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alanon phone message system? Sounds like a great idea!

    Regarding the ADD...a definite possiblity. Bipolars are known to have a touch of ADD. It is part of the illness. Of course, he states that he thinks everything is fine but we all know better than that.

    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.