Friday, June 27, 2008

Time

Have you ever thought about the concept of time as it relates to your emotions? For example, I can be doing something pleasurable, and time seems to fly by. If I'm bored though, time seems to be dragging. And you know the feeling of new love when time doesn't seem to exist at all. If I'm pressed for a deadline then I often think that I won't have enough time. And if I'm in a situation of great anxiety then time seems to take forever.

I can remember when I was a kid, it seemed that time went by slowly. The days were filled with lots of things to do. It wasn't that I was bored but just enjoying every moment. Summer days seemed to last. But for me now, the days often don't seem to be long enough. Before I know it, the sun is going down. I often want to slow the day down.

Time not only is a way to measure experience but it also seems to have a different perspective as we age. There are occasions that I have a sense of urgency about time in relation to living life. But in reality, I only have these 24 hours and the moment that I'm in. If I think about the time that has past or the time yet to come, I forget about how precious the present is.

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

From "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

7 comments:

  1. time fascinates me. its speed, my perception of it, how it changes my perceptions of things that happen/have happened. sometimes i love time, sometimes it's my greatest enemy. how someTIMEs things don't matter, yet the next day that very same thing annoys greatly. yes, time fascinates me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its weird isnt it time, I always find it extraordanary that if you go really really fast it slows down but not as you notice it until you get back to earth.
    psycholigical time, its true when your young it goes slow, my grandad said when you get really old it also slows down again.
    I always think though what determines how fast time moves into the future when we are stood still.
    Also time supposed not to exist in the afterlife, instead its like another spacial dimension, how do u imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are being culturally taught that unless we are busy every minute, we are "wasting" time.But the time we slow down and appreciate & show our love to family & God is in reallity the most meaningful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaah time... sometimes time is my friend and sometimes not.. but its all my perception. I have been working on enjoying the moments of just being...
    thanks for sharing this today have a super good Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do find time interesting; how it seems to be variable depending on what you are doing. If you could manage to stay completely in the present at all times I wonder if it would be variable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a great subject and how true - time goes by so slowly as children - and these days for me it just seems to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 45. Where has all the time gone??

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.