Saturday, June 28, 2008

A weekend on the boat


I'm heading out today to spend the weekend on the sailboat. It's supposed to be hotter than a furnace during the day but will cool down into the 70's at night. Also, there's supposed to be a good breeze blowing so that may make things more bearable.

The anchorage that I go to is near an island that I can reach with the dinghy. Last year, I swam back and forth from the boat to the shore. The current moves quickly through this area so it is safer to reach shore by the dinghy.

On Saturdays, there's a crowd of boats that beach or raft up near the island. It's become a party spot. Last year, there weren't many boats here and one could get in a good skinny dip in the AM. Now, there are a lot of people who start showing up around 9 AM. One of the latest things is for the young women to do pole dancing on their boats. By about 4 PM, everyone is mostly high on something. Sunday is a little better and brings more of a family crowd. I think that the party folks from Saturday probably hit the bars after the beach and are too hung over on Sunday to move.

There are a few things that make all this redeemable though:
1. The boats are mostly gone by 7 PM on Saturday and Compass Rose is the only one left there for the night.
2. Once on the beach, I can walk about 1/4 mile and leave the party people behind. From then on, the beach is open and without a person for the next 3.5 miles.
3. The anchorage is sheltered from waves and there is usually a great breeze that keeps the nighttime temperatures down and the skeeters away.
4. There are usually interesting shells and a few shark's teeth to be picked up along the walk. And in the winter, there's enough down trees and branches to build a nice fire. I don't think I'll need one of those this weekend.

Hope that each of you has a nice peaceful weekend doing whatever you like to do.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds relaxing except for the lunatics. This brings back memories of sailing and mooring the boat for the night in a particular cove on Lake Mead when I was a kid. Those are days and nights I will never forget. I hope you have a great weekend. It's supposed to be a furnace here to just a little north of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furnace time here in Michigan also.
    We are headed to Lake Huron for some fishing, just a day trip. It's the closest one to us, and the least crowded.The party people prefer Lake Michigan,so I know what you're talking about.
    Have a great time. Time to unwind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like heaven, Syd. As of tomorrow I will have 19 years of sobriety and can't imagine ever going back to the old life.
    Those "high on something" kids don't know what they are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you Ginnie and you to Syd.

    It's amazing how many small islands we can get to around here. I've yet to get to "bone island" though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, high by 4 pm?? Yikes! It dropped down to the 70s tonight in CT but the humidity is 94%. It's pretty gross. Love the boat pic. I want to go for a ride! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fantastic Syd, I love going on boats when I get chance which aint often.
    When its really hot we all go swimming in the river round here but so far this year we aint had "one of those days" yet.
    The newsletter I posted isnt our works one, that gets censored by our manager before going out and he wouldnt let anything like that in.
    That one was the newsletter which I do round where I live, its only seen by selected friends and stuff who aint got internet to look at.
    Still saying that if you go read it again, Ive taken off all the material that was a bit too much
    I am just gonna start our works newsletter now, I also do a third one for our bowling team

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your weekend was enjoyable - you describe a relaxing weekend that anyone would envy.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're right, those things you listed do make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.