It was a quick trip down, and it appears that I will be able to get some money for one of my research projects. At least enough money to keep the project going and pay the salaries of two staff members. We've had level funding for several years and all of a sudden we have gotten a huge increase in funding. I'm not sure that I understand how congress makes these decisions, but I'm glad that they did. Somebody in a high place liked what this project was doing and decided to quadruple the funding. I'm grateful for that. And I'm sure that my staff will be as well.
After the meeting today, I'll fly back home. It's funny how we get flown to resorts with great views, only to sit all day in a meeting room that has no windows. Maybe video conferencing will be the norm in the not too distant future and then I won't have to travel at all. That would be really nice.
My gratitude list is simple today:
- I'm glad that my lost bag was found and actually made it to my destination.
- I'm grateful that I don't know the machinations of government and why certain decisions are made.
- I have a lot of gratitude for knowing that I don't have to control people or the system--I can just show up and participate and hope that the right decisions are made.
- I'm glad to be going home and getting back to life out of the fast lane.
- I'm grateful that my needs are pretty simple and they don't include a squirrel hitman, time in the redlight district or a super V8.