Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A long day

It's been a long day here. I worked, got the boat out of the water, went rowing and finally got home at a little past 10 PM. Getting the mast down was difficult and took about all the strength that we had. Even then, it came crashing down at the last and my friend managed to move the mast "stepper" under it before it hit the boat's transom. It was a serenity breaker for a moment or two.

It looks for now that my neck of the woods is going to be spared from Hannah. But not hitting here means that it will likely go into NC so I wish everyone there well. I stayed through Hurricane Hugo, and it was a bad time. There was no electricity for 23 days. I'm not a fan of hurricanes because they cause a lot of misery, not to mention loss of life.

I'm still going to make preparations here at home. It never hurts to have things together just in case the power goes out for an extended period. I have a generator now which at least keeps the refrigerator, freezer, and well pump running.

I really feel as if I need a meeting. I've missed my regular ones this week. But tonight was a beautiful night with just a hint of fall. It felt good to be rowing on such a beautiful evening. Even without a meeting, I found my serenity at the end of the day. So I'm going to do my daily readings now, be thankful that I got some things accomplished today, and hope that tomorrow brings fair weather for all.

3 comments:

  1. there sure are more ways than one to finding tranquility.

    glad to hear the hurricane will be missing you at least. and as much as i love a good storm, it can reach a point where i too become scared...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a.m. had the hint of fall. I really love that.I try to enjoy these early mornings without thinking about what will follow in a few months.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.