Friday, September 12, 2008

Uncertainty and resilience



My thoughts are with blogger friends and colleagues who are under the gun of the massive storm heading their way. It's a time of great uncertainty.

There are times like these when we simply do not know what to do, or where to go next. And there's the fear of losing what material things that we have. It's hard to imagine that life is peaceful one day and the next there is the potential for destruction of those things that we hold dear.

So I'm keeping all those in the path of this storm in my thoughts. I hope that they will do what is necessary to keep themselves safe.

"Well if we can't plan for it, and we can't let it distract us 24 hours a day every day, what can we do?

Beats me, is mostly my response.

But I have fallen deeply in love with a word that may be of use ... Resilience.

To deal with the absurdly unlikely, we can find resilient people ......... to be more or less able to respond to a knockout blow—right out of left field." Tom Peters

7 comments:

  1. How grateful I am today that whatever uncertainty or crisis that life might put in my path, I do not have to bear it alone. My prayers and thoughts are with those who do not have a program (yet) to deal with life's blows, and with those who come into the rooms, even in the midst of their own struggles, to share how they have dealt with and come through adversity.

    Thanks for the reminder that none of us are immune from struggles, but that we have a resilience and tools to help us when life seems dark, so that even when we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, we have hope.

    Kim A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Syd. There are many types of survivors...and so many are doing it with the help of AA and Alanon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owe my life to AA and my continued growth to AA and Alanon.

    Resilience is a great word. I need patience, persistence, practice, and flexibility and resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough times don't last, but tough people do

    yep resilience. nice word. thanks for sharing!
    uncertainty is with us ALL THE TIME. its just times like these make us more conscious of it. the more i am able to tolerate uncertainty in all things, the better shape i am in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this point, the storm is more of a hassle than anything else.
    Let's wait and see what I think in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Resilience is useful in every storm of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as little as 2 years ago, i wouldn't have been as aware as i am today of the hurricane passing over a part of america. i would have seen it in the news, would have thought 'that's bad' and that would have been the end of it. today is different. i 'know' some people over there whose blogs i read almost every day. now i too am concerned and hope and pray for the best.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.