Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A photolog of July 4th

Just a few photos of the marina picnic and fireworks.  It was a good day, although we were tired when it was done.  And amazingly, all was quiet by midnight.  I think that all the rockets had been spent, all the food eaten, and the drinks finished off.  





Time for bed now.  I am reading Life by Keith Richards.  It is quite good.  What a life and a lot of miles:
On doing drugs: 
"I think your persona, your image, as it used to be known, is like a ball and chain. People think I'm still a goddamn junkie. It's 30 years since I gave up the dope! Image is like a long shadow. Even when the sun goes down, you can see it. But it's no exaggeration that I was basically living like an outlaw."
On quitting drugs: 
“most junkies are idiots. That’s really what finally turned me around. We’ve only got one subject in mind; which is the dope.”
On dying: 
"I don't want to see my old friend Lucifer just yet. He's the guy I'm gonna see, isn't it? I'm not going to the Other Place, let's face it."
On fame:
"Fame has killed more very talented guys than drugs. Jimi Hendrix didn't die of an overdose, he died of fame."
His mother's dying words:
"You're out of tune."

Good night.

11 comments:

  1. i need to check out that book...looks like fun time to me man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy life :) Some rest will help. Cute dog :)
    Thanks for the snippets from the KR book as I haven't read that .. didn't realize he'd been off the drugs for so long.. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is right about image/reputation. It casts a long shadow. Depending on how bad it got, some people will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were those melon pieces and blueberries in that bowl? Yummy idea. Great pics. Equally great quotes from Keef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're reading Keith! I'm so glad that someone besides me loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad a good and safe time was had by all. It looked like a mob to me in the picture the other day. Maybe the book Life by Keith Richards is better than we thought. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even the dog seemed to be having a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures. I really like the bridge, and the children playing. Keith Richards says some pretty wise thing about drugs and fame. I might like to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photolog, it gave me a peek into your day and your life. I'm very curious, by nature. :)

    The shot of the American flag would have to be my favorite. You've got a good eye, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome is that? I am reading the same book just now. You always seem to be discussing something that applies to my life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is interesting how you get labeled and sometimes you label yourself either way it is hard to shake it off and start new.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.