- I took one of our Labradors to the vet to be spayed. She was happy for the car ride, and I felt traitorous as I dropped her off. I felt better after I got the phone call that she was okay. She is now home and resting comfortably. She still loves me and gave me a face licking. The recovery of animals is amazing.
- A covey (or bevy) of wild turkeys crossed the road on my way to the vets. They were beautiful. I stopped the truck just to watch them walk-run across the road. I am glad that wild turkeys are still around our farm. I think they are neat birds and splendid when they spread their feathers.
- I saw a dead deer at the head of the drive. It appeared to have been hit by a car. Burying a deer takes a lot of work.
- I talked with a neighbor who has dairy cattle. He has these little calf hutches near his back yard where the calves live. I saw him at his mailbox and stopped to ask how his cows were doing. He told me that he was sad because a calf was still born two days ago, and then the mother died yesterday. And here I was feeling bad about burying a deer. He said that animals don't tell us when they are sick. She was fine one day and then dead the next from milk fever. I think that he cares about his cows as I do about the dogs. He does have a 2 day old calf that he wants me to see.
- I stocked up on groceries for our trip on the boat this weekend. We are going to a different island up the coast. A few friends are bringing their boats. I am looking forward to being around some relatively sane boaters.
- The sailing and boating club that I belong to had a meeting tonight on whether to a moment of silent contemplation, instead of prayer, as part of the order of business. I don't know what it is about religion that causes so much divisiveness, but it surely has been the reason for a lot of killing around the world for a long time. After each person had their chance to speak, the vote was to have a moment of silence. Several members got up and angrily stalked out. I haven't seen adults do that since the church that I attended as a kid was integrated. Religious fervor and hypocrisy left a bad taste in my mouth then, just as it does now.
- I was asked to be an officer in the club. I declined. De-stressing my life is a priority. I believe in what the serenity prayer says about knowing the difference between the things I can change and those people, places and things over which I have no control.
- And the last thing for today is to read a few blogs, write in my journal, and shut off the light. Good night to all.
Thursday, September 8, 2011
A day full
Some things that happened today: