Thursday, April 12, 2012

Passing it along

The lunch with my former staff yesterday was delightful.  We talked about old times, new times, and even talked some science.  I find it humorous that they are still caught up in the drama of the work place--who was let go, who is getting married, who has been promoted, etc.

But much of the focus was on budget cuts and what that was doing to various projects and filling of positions. Basically, the lab's budget is the same this year as it was when the place was started back in the early 1970's.  Most of the staff are funded on grants now, but even some of those that have been around for a long time are in jeopardy.  Yet, they were amazingly upbeat and enthusiastic about what they do.  One lady looked at me and said, "You taught me how to be the best at what I did. And when we thought that we couldn't add any more work, you would encourage us to dig deeper and do more."

Well, yes, I guess that is what I did.  I told them that they were the best and meant it.  And they would tell me when I would go off to a national meeting to not get any more ideas about interesting projects.  But then, I would come back and tell them about something I thought we needed to work on, so we would brainstorm, write a proposal and submit it.  Now, it's harder and harder to get funding.  But all of them are still employed and doing good work.

I was told by one staff member that I taught him to "grow up, work hard, and strive for excellence".  He was the fellow that I took aside one day when he got on the research vessel half-looped.  I told him to drink coffee, sober up, and grow up because he had a 24 hour shift to pull with me, and I needed him.  He is now a computer programmer pulling down six figures, married, and has a little girl who he adores.

The Al-Anon program tells me to practice the principles (steps) in all my affairs.  Maybe I was doing some of that already before I got into program.  It seems that willingness, fairness, honesty, and caring can be instilled within each of us early in life.  It takes awareness to be able to make the best use of these characteristics and maintain them through time, and hopefully pass some of them on to others.



16 comments:

  1. I am glad the fellow listened to you.we all need to grow up,but I also firmly believe that keeping the child like wonder is a fantanstic thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles...really cool to hear how you touched lives and affected people man...that is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have felt good to hear those words of appreciation. It does sound like you were a person of integrity long before you started in Al-Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people you left behind you there Syd are your "footprints in the sand." Ever forward to the next stopping point Syd. Ever forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last paragraph touched on something I believe. Our innate personalities determine how receptive we are to self help, how we use the tools offered in Alanon (and other programs), how much effort we are capable of putting into change.

    Hmmm..got me thinking this morning. How refreshing! Have a wonderful week end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that quote. And I believe I will be stealing it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is nice to see your legacy in action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my friend Kathleen retired and they had her luncheon, it was so awesome to see and hear all of her old coworkers talk about what a great boss she'd been. How she didn't take anything but the best but how she fostered that in her employees and how she made them stretch to be the people they didn't know they could be.
    Just like you.
    I think that is a beautiful thing to leave behind in a job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we never know the affect/effect (which is it? lol) we have had on someone....I am glad they got to tell you how you inspired them all to be better people, and better workers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you prepared them well.

    Being a mentor cannot be underestimated in a person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is good to hear lunch went well. Sounds like you had a positive impact on each of their lives. :0)

    I really like and agree with what you said in the last paragraph. Awareness is an important key.

    You work an amazing program Syd!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an inspiration to more than just them! I'm sure you felt humbled by the conversations! You really are such an amazing person. Thank you for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think striving for excellence is a wonderful characteristic fro a person to have. I'm afraid our nation is losing this motivation. I, too, find practicing the principles I've learned in AlAnon have grown me into a person of greater integrity. Great write today, Syd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this entry and love the quote. Especially the reference to "hire better people than you and get on with it"....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always surprised how people find it hard to let go of the drama, even after it has been years since they have left a workplace. A friend of mine worked with me for a few years, and I was chatting to him the other day - he is still going on about how the company did this, and how bad management was and who is there, and who isn't!

    I am glad I am not the only one who goes through this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you said that maybe you were practicing some of the principles before you got into the program. I believe that not all that went before I got into recovery is lost. I can't throw the baby out with the bath water. much love /g

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.