Monday, August 15, 2016

These days

I am okay. Still here and doing relatively well. Between gardening, riding, sailing and going to meetings, I stay busy.  Life has a familiar groove to it.

Getting through the worst heat of the summer has been difficult. The humidity is stifling.  I have been going to the barn to ride in the evening when the sea breeze comes up and no one else is around.  I prefer the quiet times there and going to the ring or to the fields when the sun is setting.

The garden is in the waning phase so I'm getting ready to plant some fall crops. It produced well, but the heat eventually beats down everything, except for egg plant and okra.  We put up over 75 quarts of tomato sauce for winter.  It was a two day long ordeal but we managed to get through it, although both of us did not want to see another tomato.

Sailing is still the most fantastic getaway for me.  I go out for several days a month, dropping the anchor and staying overnight.  It is relaxing in a way that's hard to describe. I sleep better on the boat with the gentle rocking.  Even though it's hot on land, the island near the ocean where I anchor has a great breeze. I sleep comfortably with the ports and hatches open.

I celebrated ten years in Al-Anon on August 13.  It is hard for me to remember all the turmoil of the years before I went and the moments that propelled me to attend my first meeting. I don't dwell on that time much.  I have a core group of two meetings I attend each week and have been adding a third on as often as I can.  We all remain imperfect, struggling to get along with others and especially with the alcoholic.

One of the greatest things that I have learned is to have compassion and empathy for all who are struggling with the disease of alcoholism, whether it is the alcoholic or the person affected by someone else's drinking. And the same for those who are struggling with life and the circumstances of it.  I don't judge others for their choices or struggles. And I have learned to not take what others do or say personally.  My hurt feelings about something unkind said to me have diminished from days to an hour.  I hope to get that to a millisecond, as the feeling flows through me.  Resentments are killers of happiness. No need to hold onto someone else's bad feelings.

I don't feel much of an urge to write anymore.  But I am going to keep the blog going, perhaps only visiting once in a while.  All that I have written about here with such urgency in the past seems much less so now.

C. and I have a remarkable love for each other.  She picked up her ten year chip a week before I did.  We have grown in peace of mind, love, respect and compassion for each other.  And we are growing old together.  Every day is one to hold onto.




19 comments:

  1. Syd- it is so good to come here and read your words again. I was just thinking of you the other day, wondering whether your horse had taken you away from us well and truly. I would understand!
    But here you are and reminding us that life is for living and that we must take care of ourselves and that which sustains us.
    Congratulations on the decade to both you and your bride. May your love be the most sustaining thing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Syd, happy Al-a-versery. I've missed your presence here. I feel sad to hear you won't be around much. You're one of those anchors in the blog world that I lean towards. I am happy for your serene way of life, your loving marriage and that you keep coming back. Gives me hope that I will continue to do so too. My Al-Anon birthday is August 17th. 28 years. One day at a time. I am still very in love with this way of life and my fellowship. May it always continue. Blessings to you and C always <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you, Syd. I can't believe it's been 10 years -- I remember your early blog days. you are certainly more serene now and I'm glad when you check in even if only to prove the programs work if you work them.

    I don't feel the blogging urge either. The happier I am, the less I feel the need to get my feelings out in a post. Life isn't perfect, but it's so beyond what I thought it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All sounds nice and agreeable Syd (except for the humidity)you have earned your rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please keep writing, even if only 1 time a month. I find peace and serenity here, and you continue to help me in my own recovery. I just returned to Al-Anon after a "I can do it myself" (NOT!) break. Glad to be back, and find much in your archives that is so helpful. Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you'll keep writing occasionally also. I love your posts but enjoy the pictures just as much.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed your post since the beginning. It is funny how the struggle for peace and mental health propels to write so much in the beginning and then as we heal living what we have learned takes priority. When I first discovered your blog your words kept me going through my darkest hours. Thankfully those days are long past and I am free to live and love life just for today. It still feels awkward somestimes to not have some crisis be the focus of the day but we came here to heal and that is what peace feels like. I am looking foward to the next chapter of my own life. Thanks for all your words. Happy ten years to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Syd,
    I have literally just discovered your blog. I myself am coming up to 5 years in The Fellowship and am much changed. Gone are those terrible early days of fear and turmoil. When I was new to the programme I found comfort in online meetings and reading what others had to share about recovery. Today I seldom search for Al-Anon belated topics. I think this is because today I have genuine healthy recovery. It's a journey that I am on. I guess what I'm trying to say is while you no longer feel the need to write, I no longer feel the need to search and read. My al-anon literature, face to face meetings and service are enough to sustain me with the help of my HP. We are both proof that it does get better. I am blessed that both my parents and two of my siblings had issues around alcohol. Now, that is recovery! Me saying that. Al-anon helped me to overcome the resentments self-pity, anxiety, shame and fear. If it can work for me, I firmly believe it can work for anyone. My sponsor told me the more we put in the more we get out and that is so true. So Syd, enjoy the life you have been given with it many many blessings.
    Love in Fellowship.
    A very grateful member of Al anon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Syd, I'm glad that you and your wife are doing well. As much as I'll miss your writing here, I realize that your life is calmer now and there is not such a strong need to process it by writing. Thanks for sharing as much of your life as you have. I wish you the best!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, and thank you for all you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always enjoy reading your posts. Five years in alanon for me in August this year. Compassion is such a great thing and led me to a lot of peace. And enjoy every day with your wife. I lost mine to the disease in late June but am doing well due to Alanon..........peace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you, so I popped in.......be well my old friend. Pammie

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for leaving the blog open, I'm usually here daily; and have been for awhile.....your blog gives me so much hope...so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Came here while researching something else. Keep writing! I blog also about my journey as a caregiver during midlife.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came by just to see how you are doing. I am happy that you have peace and are enjoying your life. It sounds wonderful. You are special to me.

    Love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to C and yourself on receiving your 10 year chips. What remarkable, life-altering achievements. I have received much sustenance from your blog over the years and am cheered that your blog will continue. I think I came across your blog just over seven years ago. My husband still refuses to accept that he is an alcoholic, but I have found peace in my choices and have Al-anon, Alcoholic Daze (blog) and yourself to thank for bringing me to where I am today. Words are very powerful, and I thank you for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss you, Syd. You were a sense of calm for me. I hope you return soon.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Empathy, compassion, always. I linked over, again! Happy Thanksgiving, Syd

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was looking for a placed to interact with others affected by alcoholism. I've been to a number of meetings, but stopped a while back. Not sure what I am looking for. Married to a sever alcoholic who has basically been drunk for most of the last 4 years. Been in rehab a bunch of times. A week, 30 days, 60 days. Won't go for the length she probably needs. I'd say it is destroying our loves, but that would ignore the fact our lives are already destroyed. I haven't found the resolve to really do what I need to. I am mostly worried about my 15 year old who is living through all this. Sorry to dump. I'd say holidays are the worst of it, but that wouldn't be fair to all the other horrible times the rest of each year.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.