Monday, June 4, 2007

Making a run

We are heading back down to deep water off Miami. It's a long run, giving me lots of time to read and reflect. I'm thinking about what I'm going to do when I get my MMD card as an ordinary seaman. I watched the large cargo ships move in and out of Savannah's port, wondering where they are going and what they are carrying. It's easy to get the wanderlust just thinking about that. But it's a different thing to carry it out and give up on a home life and all that it has to offer.

I am missing home a little today. It seems to happen when I'm bored from lack of activity. So far, we've just been running south and won't be doing much in the way of data collection until later tonight. I really like physical work when I'm on ship. It keeps me from thinking too much about the things and people that I miss.

It's easy to leave everything behind out here. The "geographic" change is a pleasant one but my mind also goes to all the things that I'll have to catch up on when I next get back to work on land. I've also got to start thinking more about my first anniversary in Al-Anon. How do I put the story together? I'd like to start at where I am now and then go back to where I was a year ago and the events that got me to both places. I don't necessarily want this to be a linear story. I want it to have the dimensions that portray all the complexity and also humor. I don't like continuous sob stories or the "poor me" saga. Looking back on things, there is a lot of room for humor and there are a lot of happy times that occurred. Not everything has been bad.

I was wondering how you told your story. I don't want to read from a sheet of paper. Just have it come straight from my heart. It's the only way that I know how to do anything.

6 comments:

  1. Share your story just like you share here with us Syd...that's right...straight from the heart..and probably being fully dressed would be a good plan too!
    lol
    Thanks of sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just always pray that God will put the right words in my mouth to help whoever needs the help that day or night. And then I have to repeat... it is not about me, it is not about me, it is not about me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Syd - - - Good luck composing your story. I'm sure you will do just fine. It will be YOUR story - and there is no right or wrong way to tell it. The benefit of telling it is for you, not anyone else. If someone identifies, and feels touched, that is a gift.
    Love, Anonymous #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. How it was
    What Happened
    How It Is Now

    Just show them your heart, (and put the man plant on the podium next to you)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syd - you always come by my blog and leave me words of encouragement. For that I am very grateful. I am grateful you are in my life.
    oxoxox
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Syd--
    However you decide to tell it, I know it will come from that huge heart of yours. "What comes from the heart touches the heart", no matter how you tell it.
    Love,
    Scout

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.