Monday, June 25, 2007

Photography


A lot of you have asked if I do my own photography. I do and really enjoy the hobby. Some of the photos on my blog were set up on a tripod with timer but the rest were ones that I shot just standing and looking for something to catch my eye. I use a Nikon D70 digital SLR. It's a great camera in my opinion. I carry about 4 lenses with me but mostly use a 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro lens.

Photography is something that allows me to try to capture the world around me. Some of what I photograph is beautiful and some of it is not beautiful in a conventional sense. I have a fascination with tugboats but they aren't really beautiful, just interesting to me.

It's hard to describe how it feels to get a shot that you really like. I take lots of photos but sometimes I can't capture what my eye sees. I think that's the challenge of photography. There is so much more to it than just the mechanics--there's feeling and light and all the many nuances that surround you at the moment that you see something you want to capture forever. There aren't many ways to capture those golden moments or that special feeling. It stays in your mind for a while but to have an image of it that will last....well, that's pretty neat. I still look at those old Kodak black and whites from my childhood. My memory of that time is pretty dim but when I see the photos, I can remember so much better. I guess that I'm hoping to preserve those things that are important to me so that I can look back and conjure up something magical as time goes by.

10 comments:

  1. I love love love taking pics

    you have quite an eye

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pix (again) you deff have an eye for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart MACRO lenses. I love taking pix as well, we have 3 lenses for our Rebel SLR. My fav subjects to capture are my animals.

    Somehow taking a snap shot of something allows us to relive that exact moment, those emotions and such that we were experiencing during that time. It is priceless, and everyone has a wonderful point of view to capture through the lense.

    Your photography is as beautiful as your soul. I appreciate that you share them both with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your photography - and you! Thank you for sharing both with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CHA!!!!!!!! I totally called that!
    I knew you were a little shutter bug ..hehhehe..that challenge is what I love about my photography hobby Syd..and the whole "patience" thing is all part of the art..and when you DO capture what you hoped or if it turns out better than you imagined..well that is what keeps me reloading ..!
    I actually have a photography website via myspace..check out my links if ya like.
    I love this post just shows another side to a brilliant and compassionate blogger buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are breath taking Syd... I love this one..

    ReplyDelete
  7. they're great. you should be flogging them to some photo library or something. (I know NOTHING about how photographers sell pictures). you definitely have an eye for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous.
    I just knew it was you.
    Peace,
    Scout

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto, keep blogging your photos for us please. The sunrise with the boats and the refelctions is lovely. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, you do rock at picture taking, and at being you! I suck at picture taking, but I have fun doing it anyway!!!
    love and HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.