Sunday, July 1, 2007

We pause when agitated

Today was a day of agitation and irritation. I worked hard to get the mast up and finally got that done. Once stepped though, I found that the forestay wire was twisted at the top of the mast. I thought that all the wires were straight but had missed the forestay. So there was a great feeling of irritation. I'm starting to think that the boat should be named Serenity Breaker.

At the meeting today though, I heard something that helped to put the frustration in perspective. On page 87-88 of the Big Book, it says:
"As we go through the day we pause,when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day, "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity or foolish decisions. We become much more self-sufficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not buring up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves. "

This made me think about the agitation that I had experienced during the day. It made a lot of difference in how I now thought about stepping the mast. Just to pause and breathe and not get caught up in being irritable. It will be done in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.