Monday, September 17, 2007

Dear Dad

Dear Dad:

I think about you often and over the past year have come to love you more than I believe I ever did. I have thought and spoken of all the things that you taught me. I wouldn’t have learned to love the water as I do if it hadn’t been for you. And because of what you taught me about boats, I’ve made a career of not only doing my work from boats but seeing many things in the ocean that few have ever seen. I am grateful for what I learned from you.

I’ve often wished that you were here so that we could talk about how things are now in my life. I’m not the same person that I was in 1985 which was the last time that I talked with you. And I’m not the same person that I was a year ago when I decided to change my life for the better. I’m in a program that has helped me to learn more about myself and to take responsibility for how I live my life. I always thought that I was responsible in my life but the difference is that I’m living a spiritual life now. And it’s a wonderful feeling because it means that I can look inward at myself and my faults in an effort to be a better person. And I can do this without being afraid. I no longer am angry at myself or feel empty.

I know that when I was young, I was strong willed, independent and proud. I loved you, but I also feared you. I wanted your approval and thought that I could get that by changing who I was. Yet in doing so, I built up resentment and anger. There were times when I wished that you would die. I know now that I can change but it’s to be the person that my Higher Power wants me to be. I no longer want to shape myself to be what another person wants me to be. I don’t need to do that anymore.

I have learned from this spiritual program that we all make mistakes in living and that we all need improvement. I know that you did the best that you could do for me. I realize that you always loved me and wanted what was best for me. You taught me many good traits of character. These are lessons that I will carry with me and that will hold me in good stead for the rest of my life.

What I need to tell you is that I also always loved you. For those times when I was filled with resentment and anger, I am truly sorry. I have learned that resentment and fear are human emotions but that they keep me from being truly free in my mind and heart. I am working every day to recognize when resentment and fear occur and take steps to not be consumed by them.

Finally, I want you to know that if I could physically be with you today, I would take you out on my boat, show you the beauty of the water here, and enjoy your company.

Your loving son,

Syd

9 comments:

  1. ((Syd))
    You ALMOST made me cry.
    That was beautiful and I appreciate your sharing.
    I too am feeling more spiritual these days than ever before.It must have something to do with letting go and healing? It is such a relief...liberating at times too.
    Thanks for sharing Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. !
    Complimentary words seem inadequate in response to that.
    Thanks for sharing. Good work Syd.

    I really liked the bit "to not be consumed by them."
    Thats exactly ! what it is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Syd, I'm positive that your dad knows how you feel. Although physically he's not with you, I'm sure he is with you spiritually. I feel my brothers with me all the time. I bet he's real proud of you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is beautiful! you have a good heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. our gratitude for our sobriety shows when we care enough to share...thank you Syd.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.