Thursday, January 10, 2008

Busy world

Today's meeting topic was how best to keep your serenity in a busy stressful world. It's easy to lose track of things because there is so much that is overwhelming. Even choices in the grocery store are enough to baffle me. And if I have to go to someplace like Wal-Mart, I can't wait to get out because there is just so much "stuff".

What I decided this past year is that I'm not going to make lists of what needs to be done. I used to make a list of what I wanted to accomplishment in a day. And I'd worry if I didn't get everything done. I have a mental idea of what I want to do but I don't stress out if I don't get it done. I've also decided not to take on too much at once. I want to have time to take it easy and not become overwhelmed with task after task.

And then there is meditation. I do prayers in the morning and when I'm on the boat, there is a lot of time to let my mind unwind from the work week. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. And how good it feels just to be rocked to sleep on the water.

So if I can pay attention to what my body and mind are telling me, take time to exercise and meditate, and not get caught up in trying to do too many things, I think that I'll have a good strategy for coping with this busy world.

5 comments:

  1. I want to be rocked to sleep on the water!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you lucky guy! if i don't make a list, i'll forget to do half of what i should... come to think about it, maybe you're right. 'should' isn't good. and if it's important enough, surely i'll remember it?!?!?! gotta think about this some more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could do that, but like Shadow, if I don't write it down I'll never remember it. My favorite example from a book I read - your mind never reminds you what you need to remember when you need to remember it, when do you usually remember you need to get toilet paper? At the store, or when you're umm ... in need of it? I don't consider them "to do" lists though because I would guilt myself if I didn't get them done. They're more like "don't forget" lists. :) There are two books that I love that you might want to look at - "Getting Things Done - the art of Stress Free Productivity" and although I haven't read it yet, I've heard a lot of good things about it (and the title just works for me) - "Do It Tomorrow".

    I am however determined to spend more time in meditation, so maybe my reliance on lists will lessen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. balance is one of the most important things in life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be rocked to sleep on the water, that sounds so soothing, I need that.

    I used to make lists, haven't for awhile. I do better with lists. I didn't worry about what I didn't get done, If I got to some of my last, had some productivity, I felt better. I think I need to get back to the lists, I haven't been as productive lately.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.