Friday, July 11, 2008

A good feeling


Every time that I tell my story, I come away with a good feeling. It's almost like being enveloped in a warm blanket. This is a very different feeling than I would get when giving a scientific paper at meetings. There the feeling was one of low grade anxiety, of being critiqued, of measuring up.

At last night's AA meeting, I was welcomed warmly, listened to attentively, and came away with the feeling that I'd made some new friends. As I did the last time that I told my story, I spent most of my time talking about the steps and their meaning in the context of my life and how they have worked for me.

After the meeting, quite a few people came over to thank me and one fellow talked to me about his situation at length. I'm grateful that he heard something that he identified with.

I drove home in pouring rain, all the while thinking about how grateful I am for the fellowship, for my sponsor, and my HP.

6 comments:

  1. Good post.

    I like the feeling, post-share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now realizing the tenet of helping others as part of the program.
    I'm reminded of my 1st Al-A meeting, when I had no idea what to expect.The speaker was riveting, and I was hooked on the meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I told my story I felt more a part of the fellowship than I had up until that point. You told your story at an AA meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You help alot of people every day with the 12-steps, Syd. In your meetings, in your blog, and in your life.

    Thanks from one of them! ;o) ~T~

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.