Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Many blessings

Only from the heart can you touch the sky. ~Rumi

All the food for Thanksgiving has been cooked.  I started last night and finished with the roasted turkey around noon.  This is the first year that I can remember that I did the entire Thanksgiving meal by myself.  My wife has been at her parents' house yesterday and today.

I feel a sense of accomplishment in preparing the meal.  I like to cook, but this has been pretty much my wife's domain because she is so accomplished at it.  I have been her apprentice for years. I don't think that I ruined anything!

Last night, I went to a meeting in which we talked about expectations and the holidays.  This is a familiar topic.  Several were sharing that they didn't want to visit family or were remembering past holidays that were terrible.  Each person had a back up plan about what they were going to do if situations were unacceptable.

Today I don't feel anxious about the holiday. I truly like Thanksgiving.   I know that we will be there with the parents and the new caregivers. We will stay a few hours and have a good meal.  After lunch, we will sit around for a while, talk, and clean up dishes. And then, we'll head up the road to our friends' house for dinner where I hope that we will play Balderdash, an hilariously fun word game.

I think about what someone said last night--that she wished us many blessings for Thanksgiving.  It was a good way to put it.  Instead of feeling anxious or sad, I feel grateful and accepting. Those are huge blessings for me.

Tonight, I'm going rowing with the crew.  It has been a while since I've rowed due to my taking the marine piloting course.  I'm looking forward to getting back on the water with the rowing group.

And the old dog is coming home after an over night at the vets.  She is doing okay and has been diagnosed with having some arthritis in her back and hypothyroidism.  Nothing fatal, just some more meds for the aged.  I will be glad to have her home.

Many blessings to each of you.

24 comments:

  1. good job on the food syd...glad you are feeling better about the holiday as well...have fun rowing and a great thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like wonderful Thanksgiving plans. Many blessings for you and C and her parents, your friends, and your community. I'm grateful for your friendship, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if you were still rowing.


    Syd, thanks for being supportive the year around. And thank you for leading me to Alanon in Dec, 2008.
    I looked up the date on my old blog today. If not for your encouragement I would have prolonged my misery for sure.

    Have a wonderful day, rich with all you have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful day rowing, eating and being with family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balderdash is one of our favourite games too.

    And so glad to hear your doggy friend will be home with you.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a cooking husband. You ROCK, Syd. I love the idea of being wished blessings for Thanksgiving. This has been a tough year for our family. A lot of loss this year. Counting my blessings helps with perspective. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a wonderful thanksgiving. wish you could be here to add to our now 16 (!!!) guests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job, Syd




    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family from Celestine and I.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy. Thanks. Giving. Joy. The food we share. The company. This day the words from the Course in Miracles make sense: Giving and receiving are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so grateful for your blog, Syd. You are courageous and your transparency is helping a lot of people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thankful for you this morning darlin'.
    You are a faithful person in so many areas and I admire you so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Syd...way to go with the cooking. I'm not one to hang out in kitchen so I really aplaude you. Hope your day is the best

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too have Hypothyroidism, so from this old dog to you...Happy day of thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No anxiety here, either. It's a beautiful day, we're going to be a small group. I am dancing as I cook. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Syd.
    You are a blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm grateful for many things nowadays, and your blog is one of the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm impressed with your doing the cooking. I think it says a lot about a man who enjoys cooking and I'm sure your wife appreciated it with all the stuff she has to deal with right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Thanksgiving Syd -- and cooked by you! I am glad the dog is a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad to hear your dog is coming home. Not feeling anxious this year is a true blessing...

    I like that saying "many blessings for Thanksgiving".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post & blog

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.