Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Getting close

Christmas is just around the corner, and we have been busy.  As I mentioned in a previous post, this is the year of making presents for people.  So one of the favorite things to make is pepper jelly from our home-grown peppers and my mother's recipe.  I chopped and my wife cooked enough to fill a few dozen jars with red and green jelly. We even made labels for the top and will give them to friends who attend our open house party on Boxing Day.

This evening, my wife was putting the icing on a wonderful orange pound cake that she decorated with marzipan candies.  That cake was going to her home group meeting.  I am hoping for a small slice when she gets home.  She has baked every Wednesday for this group for about five years.  It's what she likes to do, and the people at the meeting seem to really appreciate it.  A couple more cakes will be forthcoming over the weekend as gifts to some elderly couples we know.

In another spurt of inspiration,  we decided to make some hand scrub as gifts.  It sells for quite a bit of money in the city gift shops and is in just about every restaurant rest room downtown.  So we made some using epsom salts, olive oil with orange-clove fragrance and another with vanilla-almond scent.  It was easy to do and looked really great when we were done.
About the only sad note is that a friend who has been active in both AA and Al-Anon for decades was diagnosed on Monday with pancreatic cancer.  We don't know the stage or any details but know that if it can be beaten, our friend will manage to do it.  

And the parents-in-law are fragile but doing reasonably well. I took Pop for a ride on Sunday to see the lights and to get him a milk shake.  He is starting to lose some of his mental acuity, alternating between making sense and senseless babble. One of the nurses said that the main thing keeping him alive is the lactulose that prevents a buildup of ammonia in his blood due to his cirrhotic liver. I see them continuing to decline. But I think that both of us have come to terms with the inevitable. 

I know that many of you are feeling the crunch of the holidays.  We feel much less stressed this year and really grateful.  We are actually having fun with being "elves".  Who knew? 

15 comments:

  1. I am having moments of "okayness" with Christmas but then the waves come rolling in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles on you taking him out to see the lights and get a milk shake...that is awesome...i know its got to be hard as well to watch....sorry about your friend as well...

    yummmm pepper jelly...interesting on the hand scrub too...glad you are having fun man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are spending some quality time together! I love making gifts for friends and family... nothing compares. I'm also feeling "lite" and stress free this holiday. It's a nice change and rather enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those jellies look beautiful! Very festive! Are they spicy? I've never tried anything besides the sweet variety of jellies.

    Dealing with the decline of a loved one is rough. I went through it with my grandpa and now my grandma...it just doesn't ever get easy (at least I haven't found it to).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "We feel much less stressed this year..." That will make for a good Christmas season every time Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pepper jellies and hand scrubs look and sound wonderful. As does C's orange pound cake.

    Your friend with pancreatic cancer is in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great gifts. I'm glad you're enjoying your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gratitude and giving to others is essential. For all systems, biological and mechanical, there needs to be input and output. I love this time of year. It's just made for giving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's nice Syd. Made in the new kitchen too:). Wishing you peace and serenity during this season gratitude and reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures and wonderful post Syd. I don't always comment but read your blog often - it keeps me going. Thanks for your commitment to this blog. You carry us out here.

    Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May peace and love be the driving force behind your holiday celebrations. Happy Holidays, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to make home made gifts. Hoping the Holidays bring peace and serenity into your life and those dear to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear you're having a low-stress season. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Syd, taking a moment today to remember all my blog friends. Wishing you and C peace, serenity, and love this season and always.

    When I remember finding your blog so many years ago, I'm reminded "that this too shall pass." Those were hard days, but we have come full circle. Thanks for your encouragement, friendship, and steadfastness when the going was tough.

    XOXO Lou

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.