Sunday, October 12, 2014

Whew!

Yesterday was the Al-Anon Fun Day which turned out to be a great event.  I was incredibly inspired by the speakers who shared their story.  One was an alcoholic, in AA recovery for 23 years.  The other was an Al-Anon father who took all of us through his journey of the 12 steps. It was powerful stuff.

I think that having these opportunities for people to come together for most of a day, enjoy a great lunch, and listen to inspiring speakers is a great thing.  I got to meet so many people that I hadn't talked with before.  And there was a little memorial set up for a couple of long-timers in the program, including my friend, who died this year.  In fact, the day was dedicated to them which touched my heart.

Because of teaching sailing, going to the gym, sailing, riding and attending meetings, I haven't had much time to be as current on blogs as I would like.  I sometimes think that my heart isn't in this anymore because I stay so incredibly busy.  It's not the running type of busy that I once did, but I am passionately enjoying just about everything that I do.  However, I have to say that I will be glad when I have a few less things on my plate. I am juggling a lot of stuff here lately.  And I prefer to have less scheduled activities and more free time.  I know that I am not going to volunteer for any more things to do in the immediate future!

Once again, it appears that the days are slipping past so quickly.  I wish that they would slow down.  Today we have been putting together another green house for all the plants that will have to come inside before cold weather hits.  With temperatures still in the 80's, I don't know when we will have a cold snap, but I don't want some of the beautiful plants to die.  And the garden is still in a state of disarray, but I do have the fall plants that I hope to get in one day this week.  I have been saying that now for two weeks!

I am going to my cousin's memorial service in Virginia in another month.  I am not looking forward to going, largely because he has been dead since June 2013 and having a service now seems a bit late.  I feel badly that he did not have an obituary so few people even knew that he died.  But I will make the drive up there because I think it is the right thing to do.  I suppose this will be more of a celebration of his life which is good.  I hope that his wife will manage to stay sober because she has been drinking quite a bit since he died.  Her drunken phone calls to me were not ones that I liked, but I listened to her until I couldn't anymore and then said good-bye.  I have few expectations for this.  I will keep an open mind and see what happens.

I hope that you are enjoying some of the Fall weather where you are.









16 comments:

  1. Ah, Syd. It is always so lovely to hear your voice. I was just thinking lately how much I miss that.
    We should build a greenhouse too. My plants- oh, I dread that day when I have to bring them in! No room for all of them and some of them are really just recovering from last winter when I bundled some of them in sheets and blankets against the porch wall. I don't realize how BIG so many of them are until they are brought into the house.
    Life and death and the speeding up of days...it is something you and I know about. And pay attention to.
    Yes, it is the right thing to go to that memorial service. The wife? Well, that will be what it is. You will be doing the right thing by just showing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an inspiration for me to keep writing. I seem to get caught up in just about everything else. Busy is good, I guess.

      Delete
  2. well you will enjoy the colors as you drive up, i am sure...
    if you are near lynchburg, let me know, i will spot you a cup of coffee...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, I will be in Gloucester so won't be near your neck of the woods. Perhaps another time.

      Delete
  3. Encourage you to stop in Lynchburg if anywhere near. You and Brian BOTH would be in for a treat.

    Our cold snap means it is 80º this noon instead of yesterday's 90º. And welcome breezes. Love your description of Alanon get-together. Those are times of reinforcement to realize I'm not the ONLY one in this lifeboat

    Blogging, me, too, in total agreement with you, "I sometimes think that my heart isn't in this anymore because I stay so incredibly busy. It's not the running type of busy that I once did, but I am passionately enjoying just about everything that I do." (happy sigh)

    And Syd, as you know, we never know what God has in store for us when we travel to somewhere "because it is the right thing to do." We may not even be given to know AFTER...it's called faith, right?

    It is Good for me to be here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, I would like to stop to see Brian but will be in Tidewater. May be taking a sail boat from Norfolk back to Charleston. Will have to see how that goes.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that despite your busy-ness you continue to stay in touch. I would miss you if you stopped altogether. I don't care if you read me and/or comment....Gosh, what more is there to say?! lol Don't get me wrong....I always love hearing from you, but I will take what you can offer in our blogger world and I am content with that. Just glad to see your name pop up occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette. I would miss you and so many others too.

      Delete
  5. Hard for me to be around family members that are practicing alcoholics, that is about most of my family members...laugh
    I try to remember it's a disease and take care of myself by making program calls when I can. They like to act out at some events it can get very theatrical at times

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you continue to share, but can relate to the many obligations and busyness. As long as we are living in the moment and fueling our own happiness, whatever we end up doing is ok. :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Syd, hope all's well! The pics are great. The fall colors here are keeping me sane, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will stop by your blog. It has been a long time.

      Delete
  8. I could relate to so much of what you wrote, Syd. I just hope you will continue your wonderful blog ... even with long intervals between posts. We need your great insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginnie, I plan to keep going. I don't feel the urgency to write as I once did. I guess that is the peace of recovery. Thank you for still being here.

      Delete
  9. well you write very well syd.. but Im sure you know that.. and you have some great experience to pass on.. your posts are a real pleasure to read. You could become a short novelette writer instead and sell under the kindle unlimited plan.. short books work better under the new system apparently. Very easy to publish ebooks.. I know you are a bit of a perfectionist but I think your writing would transfer very well to kindle. They sell for a dollar or next to nothing.. so no big deal.. I think kindle unlimited is the new blog.. but I love the blog as well and being able to comment etc. thats half the fun :) I completely understand that you are busy in a new way. I am too. Feel called to do service in lots of ways. I like to investigate and expose disinformation lol.. there is no shortage of it.. but yes there are many ways to be of service.. this blog is much nicer than many of those profit motivated self help things on the market.. a joy to read something sincere in the wash of insincere profit orientated material.. anyway I hope you settle into a balance that makes sense.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irish. Always good to hear from you. You were a sponsor in so many ways with your writing in my early years of recovery. So many great posts that I still read from you. I have thought about doing a little book but then I have to be clear about not breaking tradition 11. Something to think about anyway.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. I like reading what you have to say.